Open Source Your Knowledge, Become a Contributor
Technology knowledge has to be shared and made accessible for free. Join the movement.
When creating your game, we suggest you follow these guidelines in order to improve both its performance and players experience.
- The game should be noob friendly. Can make a workable AI with a bunch of ifs.
- If it is a game with limited output options per turn, send those options in the protocol (e.g. the first player of chess has 20 possible actions).
- Viewer should be enough to understand most of the rules.
- Gameplay based around rounds/turns. Only perform checks (collision, presence, etc.) at the end of a turn.
- End player’s program when it outputs an unrecognised command. Continue player’s program when it outputs a recognised but invalid command and add error message to summary.
- Stop game early if players aren’t doing anything or are otherwise stalemated.
- Stop game early if the ranking is decided whatever the players may do.
- Always minify png and jpg assets.
- The Referee must not crash, make sure all possible exceptions are caught, especially during the parsing of a Player’s actions, where most errors occur.
- Minimum font size: 36px.
The following limits will make your game run faster, but they are not strict limitations.
- Statement length: less than 6k characters
- Total entity creations: less than 200.
- Max total time alloted to the players: 25s.
The following lines will help most players to get into your game. Try to simplify things when possible.
- Two loops max for input.
- Variables to read per loop: less than 10.
- Stub generator must not exceed: 45 lines of Java.
- If the player is given an ID, it is always 0.
- Privilege the use of Sprites over Shapes (Rectangle, Circle, etc.)
- Use less than 2Mb total for assets.
Games with leagues
- Stubs should, if possible, be the same for every league.
- If a game needs at least 1 data structure to make an AI that doesn’t crash, it needs an easier league.
When contributing on CodinGame, you must accept and apply these rules:
- Your game must not contain any kind of inappropriate content.
- Write a stub generator. The documentation can be found in the CodinGame SDK repository. Any non-explicit variable must be explained with a comment.