Open Source Your Knowledge, Become a Contributor
Technology knowledge has to be shared and made accessible for free. Join the movement.
This playground is my second one about the BrainFuck language. See the Getting started with BrainFuck playground if you didn't already !
While the first playground aimed to talk about basic BF algorithms, this ones will introduce one of the most used data structure : arrays.
In case you're still wondering : yes, the cover image is, again, the source code of a BF interpreter, written in BF ^^. This will be part of the 3rd playground :-)
Let's first define how we will structure our array in memory. For this first draft, we will define some hypothesis:
- An array contains values (0 or more)
- It is represented in memory by a succession of cells, each one being a value
- The array is delimited in memory using 0 values (the array has to be somehow delimited)
- Due to the delimiters definition above, an array cannot contains a 0 value
- But and array can be empty, of course
- Memory will look like 0, value1, value2, value3, ..., valueN, 0 with all valueX greater than 0
Note: at the end of this playground, we will see how we can have null values in arrays, using a different data structure. But it is really important to understand the basic algorithms first !
Now, let's implement basic operations on arrays